one such recipe is the recipe of kadai paneer. usually when we go to any restaurant, one paneer dish is unfailingly always ordered. the other dish is usually a dal recipe like dal makhani or dal tadka. so some times i create these recipes at home.
i love reading cook books from well known chefs and even try their recipes. now this recipe is really restaurant style, coz i have adapted it from the cookbook Prashad-Cooking with Indian Masters by jiggs kalra. i remember jiggs kalra, as a kid, in on of his tv shows, where i would watch him and his assistant chef churning out delicacies and delicacies one after the other.
this book has restaurant style recipes, but most of them are non vegetarian ones. a must have book if you want to have some yummy food. i have made a few recipes from the book and they have all been great… like dhingri dolma, amritsari dal (a recipe still in the drafts) and aubergines in white gravy – a vegetarian adaption of safed maas: a rajasthani delicacy of meat in white gravy.i have a kadhai paneer recipe already on my website, but its different from this one… and please don’t compare the photos of that one with this one… those were the days, i used to take photos from a mobile phone and it reminds me that i still have to replace the photo of that one…. and i am so busy…. its a miracle how i post recipes on the blog.
another factor of this recipe is that it does not have onions…. but garlic is added. for folks who do not eat onion and garlic, just do not add garlic to the recipe and you have a kadai paneer without onions and garlic.
for the recipe, i had made paneer the previous night, but you can use store brought paneer. the recipe is again simple and easy to make.
so here we go with step by step kadai paneer recipe.start by rinsing the veggies and chopping them later.
garam masala powder.
rotis, naans, parathas, phulkas… enjoy:-)
few points for this kadai paneer recipe:
- to make the pounding easier in a mortar pestle, dry roast the red chilies and coriander seeds.
- the capsicum can also be diced, but making juliennes means faster cooking.
- since red chilies are used, one does not need to add red chili powder.
- you have to make this in the kadai and not in any other pan folks who do not have kadai, use a wok instead.
- the recipe is a semi dry and mildly spiced recipe and no water is used in this one.
- best to have kadai paneer with onion rings, lemon wedges and tandoori naan or tandoori roti.
restaurant style kadai paneer recipe details below:
kadai paneer recipe
restaurant style kadai paneer recipe
Recipe type: curry
- 250 gms paneer/cottage cheese, cubed
- 5-6 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- 6-7 garlic, crushed
- 1.5 inch ginger, half crushed and half julienned
- 2 green bell peppers/capsicum, julienned
- 5-6 kashmiri red chilies
- 1.5 tbsp coriander seeds, roasted
- 2 tsp crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ cup chopped coriander/cilantro leaves
- salt or black salt
- in a kadai heat oil.
- add the crushed ginger and garlic.
- saute these till the raw smell disappears.
- now add the chopped tomatoes.
- saute the tomatoes till they become soft.
- pound the coriander seeds and red chilies to a roughly fine powder
- after 8-10 minutes add the spice powder to the tomatoes.
- saute the tomatoes till the whole mixture become like a paste and starts to leave oil.
- now add the juliened capsicum and chopped green chilies.
- and saute the capsicum for some 8-10 minutes.
- add salt and garam masala powder
- mix these with the rest of the masala.
- its time to add the paneer.
- cook the paneer for 5 minutes in the masala.
- lastly add kasuri methi, julienned ginger and coriander leaves.
- mix and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- serve the kadai paneer, hot with rotis or naans.
Serving size: 4